#GivingTuesday is About Giving Back
The Tuesday after Thanksgiving is an important date. #GivingTuesday is a global day of giving that harnesses individuals, communities, and organizations’ collective power to encourage philanthropy and celebrate generosity worldwide.
Founded in 2012 by the 92nd Street Y – a community and cultural center in New York City – #GivingTuesday inspired millions of people to support the causes they believe in and give back. Over $300 million was raised online to benefit a tremendously broad range of organizations, and much more was given in volunteer hours, donations of food and clothing, and acts of kindness.
We recognize that philanthropy is important to many of you. It is important to us as well. We’ve provided some tips on how you can participate in #GivingTuesday.
How You Can Participate in #GivingTuesday
Remember, giving can take many forms other than money.
- You can donate your time, clear out your closets, and purge your kids’ old toys.
- You can mobilize a group of friends by starting a collection of goods or money.
- You can spread the word about important causes that you believe others may find relevant as well.
- You can use the day to educate your children and grandchildren, encouraging them to give back in an age-appropriate way. Ideas include writing a thank you note to a teacher or essential worker, choosing a toy they no longer play with to pass on to a less fortunate child, and shopping for a toy to donate to a toy drive (nothing for them that day, just the donation). Doing these things reminds them to be thankful for what (and who) they have in their lives and teaches them to be humble and show gratitude by giving something to those who have less than them.
There are other creative ways you can give too.
- Donating Appreciated Stock and Mutual Funds Might be a Great Tax Strategy
- Donate some of your IRA to charity by making a Qualified Charitable Distribution
- Understand How Your Charitable Giving Priorities Can Impact Future Generations and share your charitable giving philosophy with your family.
At EKS, we have committed to giving back, and each year we strive to increase the organizations we support and the activities we participate in, personally, and as a firm.
We hope you will find in your heart to give to the causes that are important to you on Tuesday and throughout the year. To learn more #GivingTuesday, visit the GivingTuesday website.